Tuesday, May 12, 2015

JUDO: TOUGHER THAN THE REST



By Barron Shepherd

             It has been a long while since I have written on my judo blog page but it seemed appropriate that I start back posting. I am now 50 years old and still training in judo starting a new judo program in my hometown and even more appropriately in the exact same place where I learned judo. So I am highly stoked highly motivated. So here is my rant for the day. 

 For everyone who told me that 50 is old or those who call me an old man…. To the guys who are half my age and feel they are better stronger and faster because they're younger…. LISTEN UP!!! The question isn't can I keep up with guys half my age, the question is... CAN THEY KEEP UP WITH ME!

Don’t let others define who you are or what you want to do. Set your own goals. My goal in the martial arts has never been to be a 10th degree black belt or a GRAND MASTER. It has always been about being effective and being the best I can be. It hasn't been about riding the skirt tails of a known martial arts personality. It isn't about notoriety. It's not about having the biggest school with the most trophies. It has always been about blood sweat and tears hard training and putting in the work needed to be in shape and be the best that I can be.

 I didn't start training in judo until later in life. In 1991 at the age of 26, I stepped into a judo class for the first time. Judo was like no other style I had trained in and I was assured of two things by the Judo instructor; Rank would nt come easy nor would it come fast. I was told by the instructor that this would be an endeavor that would take years of hard work. My Judo instructor wasn't kidding.

Finally seven years later in 1998, I tested and was awarded shodan. I had never taken as much pride in achieving something as I did when I had achieved my shodan rank in Judo. I hold higher ranks in other styles but the rank I have been most proud of are the shodan and nidan ranks I attained in judo.

As I look back, my judo experience was like developing a taste for beer, at first it was tough and unpleasant but after awhile I got used to it and then eventually began to enjoy it. This however would take years of showing up to class. A lot of times during those I would ask myself, "what am I doing here?" Being too stubborn to quit after several years I attained brown belt. It was nt until brown belt that a love for judo developed. 

 I have been involved and trained in several martial arts, MMA, Wrestling, Kick boxing and boxing. However, if I was to compare all of my experiences and training I would say that Judo by far was the toughest. I am not putting the other styles down in any way. I enjoyed training in each and everyone of them. But Judo offered the ultimate in every aspect of sports, martial arts and self defense.

Judo prepares you mentally and physically to withstand the rigors of an assault. There is a reason that old school law enforcement and military taught Judo...it works. It’s  a more complete close quarter combat system and combat sport because it has both standing and ground fighting skills. Judo also provides a better sense of true accomplishments because there is no “make believe” in its training. There is no faking it. You throw and you get thrown, in either situation it requires skill in technique and mental and physical toughness.

There is fit and there is “fighting fit. There are individuals who are fit for their chosen sport or activity and then there are those who are fit for fighting. Judo falls into the latter category. Judo uses finesse but, requires a high degree of other attributes like strength, power, endurance, speed, et You cannot be successful in judo and be out of shape. I don't do judo to get in shape. I get in shape to be good at judo. 

The physical demands of Judo are unique and rather complex.  A Judo fight is too long to be pure anaerobic effort, but too intense to be aerobic purely. Part of what makes judo so tough is the fact that rounds require five minutes of constant contact between competitors. 

Judo is more difficult than MMA or any other martial art.  When it comes to sparring for MMA during practice sessions, competitors rarely give 100 percent to prevent injury. Judo is a rigorous and demanding physical activity. In judo practice you can give 100 percent and engage with your opponent constantly using everything you have physically in randori/free practice/sparring.  In MMA one is able to train in different techniques and disciplines which make MMA “more forgiving on the body than judo.

In Olympic-style wrestling there are three two-minute periods with one-minute breaks between rounds… For boxing, you fight for three minute rounds with a one minute rest between rounds. In boxing, you can just stand in front of your opponent lay on the ropes or just dance around and or pace yourself.  In Brazilian jiujutsu you can get into positions and rest and pace yourself. You can be on your back in the guard and reserve energy while as your opponent expends his.

In judo there are no rounds or periods or rest. A Judo match can consist of five to ten minute time frames, when compared to other sports activities, the aerobic demands of judo are quite intense. The time involved is often greater than the time of an Olympic 1500 meter race.

The demands on the grip are very high Judo players pull and tug on each other’s jackets incessantly. Grips, grip strength and grip fighting remain constant and consistent thru ought the match not allowing the judo competitor to rest of coast during a match pace themselves. High tension and power moves are to be expected and performed at almost any moment.

Even a decent local level player needs to be able to do five to seven minutes of frequent high intensity bursts. Wear and tear on the body is an issue, one that will pervade all aspects of training. While one of the best ways to train for judo competition is to hit the mat, not everyone has the body to withstand dozens of hard falls each day from the dynamic throws found in the sport. In addition, judo requires at least one willing partner who is able to absorb the same, if not more, punishment from the player.

 You become tough with Judo physically and mentally. Physically you have to endure regular pain in Judo.  You have to overcome someone trying to throw you, choke you, arm lock, pin you, you get slammed, you face exhaustion, you deal with someone's weight on top on you in newaza or ground fighting . Mentally enduring all this competitiveness makes you competitive. 

At the age of 50 I am still training and setting new goals, challenging myself both mentally and physically. I am a guy who believes that hard work keeps a man honest. I don't really care about what others may say about me good or bad. I am always doing my own thing and I am cool with that. Life is just too damn short to let others hold you back.

Defiance is ageless. You’re never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. Be a wolf, be a lion, set goals and smash them. Take advantage of no one. Don't lie. Be a better person. Live right. Eat right. Take no shit. Don't apologize for being awesome. Defy the odds and most importantly stay the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

free counters